Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Vegan French Toast

I went looking for some healthy breakfast ideas for a Christmas morning treat and here is one of the favorites I found. I think I'll be substituting coconut oil for the margarine.
These are very banana-y depending on how ripe your bananas are. I loved them! We had them Christmas morning with homemade hash browns, orange juice, and a little splurge of turkey bacon.

Vegan French Toast
  • 2-3 ripe bananas
  • 3/4 cup soy milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • bread, any kind is fine
  • vegan margarine
Blend bananas, soy milk, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in blender or food processor and pour mixture into pie plate or wide dish. Gently dip bread slices into the mix, coating both sides. Fry in vegan margarine in medium-hot skillet until golden brown. Serve with maple syrup if desired, and, as always, enjoy your wonderful vegan French toast!
This comes from Jolinda Hackett on about.com

*Extras can be frozen and cooked up in the toaster or flashed in the oven.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Ya, It was a little runny for my taste but I will totaly put in cinnamon and vanilla in my next batch of regular french toast. :)

Kakes said...

You just have to cook them at a slightly lower temperature for a little longer than usual. Then there's no runniness to be had.