Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Tulsi (Holy Basil)

Lately it seems I have had far too many mentions of Holy Basil in my life to be coincidence. Information began flying out of the woodwork until I simply could not ignore it any more.
I did my own research and found article after article on the positive, stress-reducing and health effects with no side effects or negative issues. I was convinced- had to try it. I popped my my local health store looking for Tulsi tea. They didn't carry a tea form, but they did have Holy Basil caplets in concentrated form. They were pricey (28 bucks for 60 caplets), but I had to try them. Later I found some online sources that could have saved me a good 10 bucks even with shipping!
I got home from a hectic shopping trip and took my first dose. I have to say. I am floored! This stuff is amazing! I have not felt so positive, happy and stress-free since I was a kid! I have energy and a positive mindset- a clear head that allows me to organize myself and get more done. And I am not wired at all! I had zero issues hopping into bed at 10:30 and falling right into a deep and relaxed sleep.
Here is what the LuckyVitamin Blog says about it:

Everyone is always looking for the magic pill. Wouldn’t be nice to take something and feel a lot better right away? We know there isn’t such a thing, but we can find some pills that may help you “feel better”.

Holy Basil is also known as Tulsi (means “the incomparable one”) and has been helping people feel better for many years. The herb has been called the “Queen of Herbs” since the ancient civilization. Originally from India, this powerful herb can increase the body’s resistance to stress and minimize the negative effects of stress on the body.

Many people believe Holy Basil can support carbohydrate metabolism, resulting in healthy blood glucose levels. Several products for blood sugar support add this herb in their formulas.

Studies have also showed the ability of Holy Basil to promote body relaxation. People have been able to sleep better, reducing stress levels and elevating spirit when taking the herb on a regular basis.

Holy Basil is safe to use and it can be taken by kids, adults and elderly people, with no sides effects. It’s a great product for children, calming them down and supporting better nights of sleep.

If you are not getting results from more traditional products, such as St. John’s Wort, Gaba, Kava Kava and L-theanine, Holy Basil could be the “magic pill” for you.

Wikipedia also has great information and study references to back up the claims.

I am pretty sold. Anyone with high-stress, who is prone to worry or who has depression issues or sleep issues could benefit immensely from this herb.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Sounds interesting. Have you tried any essential oils? Christophers mom has a whole collection. At a womens retreat a few years ago we had a whole class about them and took a questionnaire. At the end, it told us which essential oils to use based on our lifestyle to help reduce the stress and make us happier. You put drops of the oil in your water each day. Many believe that it truly helps them feel better.

Kakes said...

I have used all sorts of essential oils (including all the Bach flowers and Chris' mom's collection) and many have had mild effects, but never ever anything like this! This is not just 'I think it works' for me. This is an amazing change. That is why I'm so excited about it! I didn't even feel like a very stressy person, but man, this stuff is good!

Michelle said...

ordered.

Renae said...

I can't wait to try it!