Thursday, July 2, 2009

Spinach Cashew Pesto

Sorry I've been slacking for a while! So much has been going on! I will try to catch up with great recipes in the coming weeks, but for now I'll start with a marvelous pesto that is awesome with pasta, as a dip, or however else you want to use it!
Most pesto sauces call for walnuts or pine nuts, but since I'm more apt to use what I have on hand, this one is made with raw cashews. It is easy and oh, so tasty.

Spinach Cashew Pesto

approx 4 cups fresh, clean spinach
approx 1/2-3/4 cup raw cashews
3 medium/large cloves garlic
approx 1 1/2 -2 Tbsp dried basil (if you have fresh basil- use it!!)
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
extra virgin olive oil

In food processor place all ingredients except for olive oil. Pulse until chopped, then begin adding olive oil a drizzle at a time while processor is running until desired consistency is reached. Thicker is desirable for a chip or cracker dip or spread. Thinner is great for pasta sauce.
You can add parmesan cheese if desired, but I kept this one clean and healthy.

Delicious with pita chips, on sandwiches, pasta- get creative!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You should post pictures of your recipes. I love looking at food blogs with pictures, it inspires me to make the yummy food, and then I can tell if something went horribly wrong.

melanie33 said...

hey! I didn't know you ha a blog! I am glad to see it, and i could use a little healthy inspiration!